How to Apply
Manager, Department of Surgery; Program Administrator
Saint Barnabas Medical Center,
Department of Surgery
94 Old Short Hills Road, Livingston, NJ 07039
The General Surgery Residency Program at Saint Barnabas Medical Center
offers four (4) categorical and five (5) preliminary PGY 1 positions.
Our program participates fully with ERAS and the NRMP.
Our application deadline is December 31.
- Applicants must be participants in the National Resident Matching Program
- We accept applications only through ERAS
- A minimum score of 220 on USMLE Step I and II (first attempt)
- Applicants must have graduated from medical school within the past 5 years
- International medical school graduates must have at least one year of US
clinical hospital experience and present a valid ECFMG certificate prior
to the offer of a contract
- Applicants must be a US citizen, a permanent resident, or have a J-1 visa
- We do not offer externships
The following documents must be submitted through ERAS:
- Common Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Dean's Letter
- USMLE Scores
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation (at least two from surgeons)
Selected applicants are invited for interview (held in December and January.)
The interview process includes a presentation and program overview with
the Program Director and Chairman, interviews with members of the selection
committee, a tour of the facility, and lunch with an opportunity to meet
with current residents and faculty.